Qualcomm is a telecommunications company that was founded in 1985 by seven individuals, including Dr. Irwin Jacobs, who served as the company’s CEO until 2005. The company is headquartered in San Diego, California and is best known for its work in the development of wireless technologies, including the CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) standard, which is used in many cellular networks worldwide. In the early 1990s, Qualcomm developed the first CDMA-based cellular phone and the first CDMA digital PCS (Personal Communications Service) handset. In the following years, the company expanded its operations to include the development of other wireless technologies, such as WCDMA (Wideband CDMA), LTE (Long Term Evolution), and 5G. Qualcomm is also known for its work in the development of chipsets for mobile devices, and it is one of the leading suppliers of chipsets for smartphones worldwide.
Qualcomm Main services
Qualcomm is a technology company that is involved in a wide range of activities, including the development of wireless technologies, the design and manufacture of chipsets for mobile devices, and the licensing of its intellectual property to other companies. Some of Qualcomm’s main services include:
- Wireless Technology: Qualcomm is a leader in the development of wireless technologies, including cellular standards such as CDMA, WCDMA, and LTE, as well as newer technologies such as 5G.
- Chipsets: Qualcomm designs and manufactures chipsets for mobile devices, including smartphones, tablets, and other connected devices. These chipsets are used in a wide range of devices and are known for their high performance and energy efficiency.
- Intellectual Property Licensing: Qualcomm owns a large portfolio of patents related to wireless technologies and other areas, and it licenses these patents to other companies.
- Research and Development: Qualcomm invests heavily in research and development, with a focus on developing new technologies and improving existing ones.
- Services: Qualcomm also provides a range of services to its customers, including technical support, engineering consulting, and training.
Qualcomm Impact on society
Qualcomm has had a significant impact on society through its work in the development of wireless technologies and the manufacture of chipsets for mobile devices. Some of the ways in which Qualcomm has impacted society include:
- Wireless Communication: Qualcomm’s work in the development of wireless technologies, including cellular standards such as CDMA and LTE, has enabled the widespread adoption of mobile phones and other wireless devices, which have transformed the way people communicate and access information.
- Mobile Computing: Qualcomm’s chipsets have played a key role in the development of smartphones and other mobile devices, which have revolutionized the way people access and use information and have created new opportunities for communication, entertainment, and business.
- Economic Impact: Qualcomm’s technologies and products have contributed to the growth of the telecommunications industry and have created jobs and other economic opportunities. The company is also a major contributor to research and development in the tech industry, which has helped to drive innovation and progress.
- Social Impact: Qualcomm’s technologies have enabled people to stay connected with each other and with the world around them, which has had a range of social impacts, including the ability to access information and communicate with others more easily.
Qualcomm main competitor
Some of Qualcomm’s main competitors in the telecommunications and chipmaking industries include:
- Intel: Intel is a large technology company that is involved in the development of a wide range of products, including chipsets for mobile devices.
- Samsung: Samsung is a South Korean multinational conglomerate that is involved in the development of a wide range of products, including chipsets for mobile devices and smartphones.
- MediaTek: MediaTek is a Taiwanese company that is involved in the design and manufacture of chipsets for mobile devices and other electronic products.
- Broadcom: Broadcom is a technology company that is involved in the development of a wide range of products, including chipsets for mobile devices and other electronic products.
- TSMC: TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) is a Taiwanese company that is involved in the manufacture of chipsets and other semiconductor products.
Qualcomm Share History Prices
Qualcomm is a publicly traded company, and its stock is listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol “QCOM”.
Current price as on 07/01/2023 is 115.34 USD giving a negative return of -35.81% in past year.