AstraZeneca plc History
AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical company that was founded in 1999 through the merger of Astra AB, a Swedish pharmaceutical company, and Zeneca Group plc, a British chemical and pharmaceutical company. Before the merger, both companies had long histories.
Astra AB was founded in 1913 as a pharmaceuticals business in Sweden. In the decades that followed, the company expanded and diversified, establishing itself as a major player in the pharmaceutical industry.
Zeneca Group plc was created in 1993 through the demerger of Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI). ICI was a British conglomerate that was founded in 1926 and had a wide range of businesses, including pharmaceuticals. Zeneca Group was formed as the pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals division of ICI.
The merger of Astra AB and Zeneca Group plc in 1999 created AstraZeneca, a global pharmaceutical company with a strong presence in both the European and North American markets. Since its formation, AstraZeneca has made a number of acquisitions and divestitures and has become a leading player in the pharmaceutical industry.
AstraZeneca plc main Products
AstraZeneca is a multinational pharmaceutical company that develops, manufactures, and markets a wide range of products, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, and health-related consumer products. Some of the company’s main products include:
- Prescription drugs: AstraZeneca produces a range of prescription drugs for various therapeutic areas, including cardiovascular disease, respiratory illness, cancer, and infectious diseases. Some examples of the company’s prescription drugs include Crestor (a cholesterol-lowering drug), Nexium (a proton pump inhibitor used to treat acid reflux), and Symbicort (a inhaler used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines: AstraZeneca also produces a range of OTC medicines, which are available to consumers without a prescription. Examples of the company’s OTC products include Mucinex (a decongestant used to treat cold and flu symptoms), Zantac (an antacid used to treat heartburn and indigestion), and Nicorette (a nicotine replacement therapy used to help people quit smoking).
- Consumer health products: AstraZeneca also produces a range of consumer health products, including vitamins, minerals, and supplements. Some examples of the company’s consumer health products include Centrum (a multivitamin), Caltrate (a calcium supplement), and Phazyme (an anti-gas medication).
AstraZeneca plc impact on Society
AstraZeneca is a global pharmaceutical company that develops and manufactures a wide range of products that are used to treat and prevent a variety of diseases and conditions. As a result, the company has had a significant impact on society by helping to improve the health and well-being of people around the world.
Some examples of the ways in which AstraZeneca has had an impact on society include:
- Developing new treatments and therapies: AstraZeneca has invested heavily in research and development to develop new drugs and treatments that address unmet medical needs. This has helped to improve the lives of many people who may have previously had few treatment options.
- Improving access to healthcare: AstraZeneca has worked to make its products available to people in need, regardless of their ability to pay. The company has established programs to provide free or discounted medications to low-income individuals and has worked with governments and non-profit organizations to improve access to healthcare in underserved communities.
- Supporting public health initiatives: AstraZeneca has also supported public health initiatives to improve the health of populations around the world. For example, the company has provided funding for research on infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and has supported efforts to increase vaccination rates in developing countries.
- Creating jobs and economic opportunities: As a large multinational corporation, AstraZeneca has also had an impact on society by creating jobs and economic opportunities in the communities where it operates. The company employs thousands of people around the world and contributes to local economies through its business operations.
AstraZeneca plc Role in Covid-19
AstraZeneca is a pharmaceutical company that has been actively involved in the global efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The company has partnered with the University of Oxford to develop a vaccine for COVID-19, called AZD1222.
In late 2020, AstraZeneca announced that the vaccine had been found to be highly effective in clinical trials and received emergency use authorization from regulatory agencies in several countries. Since then, AstraZeneca has been working to manufacture and distribute the vaccine around the world, with a focus on providing it to low- and middle-income countries.
In addition to its work on the vaccine, AstraZeneca has also been involved in other efforts to combat COVID-19, including the development of diagnostic tests and the donation of millions of dollars worth of medications and personal protective equipment to healthcare organizations.
Overall, AstraZeneca has played a significant role in the global efforts to eradicate COVID-19, and the company’s vaccine is likely to be an important tool in achieving this goal.
AstraZeneca plc share price History
Price as on 07-01-2023 $70.88, One year Return 22%- and 5-years return 98.60%